Friday, November 21, 2008

Readings for 11/21/08

Using a wiki to manage a library instruction program: Sharing knowledge to better serve patrons

- The article talks about a program called Wiki, and how libraries today are using it to share knowledge and resourceful information. In the article it states, “Wiki members edit text documents and attach files. Contributors to a library instruction Wiki can edit and store insightful comments into class needs, work together in the creation of subject resource guides, and update outdated material.”
- Wikis are increasingly used to manage information in organizations, and libraries are beginning to employ them.

Creating the academic library folksonomy: Put social tagging to work at your institution
- After reading the first paragraph, I said to my self, “OMG Yes, I always go through this”. I get really frustrated when I tag something that I find really interesting online, and then when I go back to it, I have a ton of other saved material. However I never looked at it in a librarian perspective.
- The article discusses bringing social tagging to libraries.
- The article states, “Social tagging is a relatively new phenomenon that allows an individual to create bookmarks (or “tags”) for Web sites and save them online.” I believe this is a wonderful idea, and taking this course, I was able to experience what the article was explaining from the assignment citeulike..

Jimmy Wales: How a ragtag band created Wikipedia
- This twenty minute video made a lot of sense and I really enjoyed watching it. I was surprise to hear the cost of Wikipedia and the languages that are provided.
- Wikipedia is the top 50 popular website and is more popular than New York Times website.

1 comment:

Maggie said...

I was also surprised at the low cost of wikipedia. One does not have to have a ton of capitol to change the world!