Friday, September 5, 2008

Week two reading notes

Machtelt Garrels. “Introduction to Linux: A Hands on Guide”

The reading was interesting, giving an explanation of the development of the programs UNIX and Linux. However, I am not a Linux user and I don’t believe I need to be as of this point. Nevertheless, it’s interesting to know you can download the application in its entirety at no cost.

What is Mac OS X

Personally I’m not a Mac user and the last time I can remember using a Mac was in high school. I do remember the teacher complaining that there wasn’t enough software and programs for us to use because of course you have to purchase all Macintosh software. Last month my younger cousin was donated a Mac laptop from her church. All she did was complain about the computer and the internet. It took her forever to go into popular websites such as youtube and myspace. When she finally got through, she could not view the videos due to security reasons. Honestly, the article was informative for Mac users, but for me it was like speaking another language. I guess it’s because I’m a PC user.

I was wondering are Mac’s easier to use by adults rather than children?


Paul Thurott “An Update on the Windows Roadmap”

I believe the new Window Vista is great. I purchased a new laptop last summer and seen that it had window vista installed. However, when I went home with my new laptop, window vista was just a three month trail. Bummer since it cost so much to download. Later, I installed windows XP that I still had from my old computer. I found that having window vista is a must because a lot of documents that you download can only be seen in the window vista version and unfortunately won’t convert to windows XP. I’m pretty sure a lot of people experienced the same problem.

I was thinking to get the most out of window vista do we need to have internet services?

1 comment:

ediblealphabet said...

Hi Nellie,

As a MAC user, I feel that this system is much for user-friendly for visual programs. I love using MACs for photography and video purposes. On the other hand, I have noticed some of the drawbacks that you describe. I would be interested in learning if there is compatible laptop available.